There is no need to announce to the world that you are straightening your teeth with short-term orthodontics. The Invisalign alignment system lets you inconspicuously correct your smile and live your life without restrictions.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a short-term orthodontic plastic aligner system that uses clear plastic trays like mouthguards to gradually move your teeth into proper alignment. This system is much different than traditional orthodontic appliances, such as braces. There is no bonding metal brackets or attaching unsightly wires to the front of your teeth. You simply pop in the aligners and let them go to work. Invisalign is not suitable for younger patients, but older teens and adults are able to benefit from the Invisalign method because their dental structure is mature and no longer in the development stage.
How Does Invisalign Work?
The Invisalign process is really simple part of short-term orthodontics. There are three easy steps to getting the smile of your dreams.
- Talk with your trusted Hellertown, PA dentist. Your dentist will go over your situation and, if you’re a good candidate for Invisalign, create a customized treatment plan to get your smile to the place you want it to be. You will have X-rays taken and impressions made of your teeth. These will all aid in the creation of your custom-made Invisalign aligner trays. Your dentist will go over approximately how long your treatment will be, as well as the position of your teeth during each step of the process.
- Once your aligners are ready, you will pick them up from Hellertown Dental Group. You will begin wearing your first aligners that day. It is important to note that for treatment to be effective, you will need to wear the aligners for about 22 hours per day. Less time than that can sabotage your new smile efforts. Remove your aligners when you eat and when you brush your teeth. This is a great chance to clean the aligner trays as well. Just pop them back in when you’re done, and you are on your way to a better smile in no time.
- Every two weeks you will move to the next aligner set in the series. You will come into our Hellertown, PA dentist office about every six weeks for a checkup on your progress and to recieve new aligners. Keep following the treatment schedule and seeing your dentist, and your new smile will arrive in about 12 months from the day you started your short-term orthodontic treatment.
Benefits Of Invisalign
Invisalign has three major benefits over traditional braces:
- Comfort – The smooth plastic construction of the aligners makes for a much more comfortable experience. The metal brackets used with traditional braces rub and irritate the inside of your lips, but there is no fear of that with Invisalign.
- Convenience – Just pop the aligners in and go. If you are about to eat something, pop them out, eat, and pop them in again. There is no avoiding certain types of foods. You can eat what you want, when you want. It couldn’t be easier.
- Appearance – Your aligner trays are clear plastic. This leaves them virtually invisible to those around you. You can straighten your smile, and no one will ever know you are doing it.
Call our Hellertown, PA dentist office today at 484-858-0949 for more information or to schedule your short-term orthodontics appointment. You can use our online form to schedule your appointment if you prefer. One of us will be in touch shortly.