Do you remember Star Trek? In case you happen to be unfamiliar with a show that has spawned millions of fanatical fans called “Trekkies,” it was about a future where humans explored outer space aboard great vessels called “starships.” There were machines that made food out of thin air. There was a deck on the ship that could produce a virtual reality that was so real you could touch and feel what was in the simulator. They also had a thing for lasers. Their handheld weapons were called “phasers” but looked just like lasers. The ship also used lasers to defend itself. They even had lasers in the sick bay.
Lasers are not a far-flung idea in today’s medical field. They have a number of uses that are quite remarkable, and the field of dentistry is no exception. Lasers can accurately correct gum alignment, detect cavities, and treat gum disease. The use of lasers can make some feel like they are living out an episode of their favorite sci-fi show. In reality, we are all just living in an amazing time with some amazing technology. Your top-notch Hellertown, PA dentist, Dr. Hunsicker-Morrissey of Hellertown Dental Group uses laser dentistry because there is no better way to make sure our patients get the best possible care.
What Is Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry is the use of medical lasers for various dental treatments. Lasers were approved by the FDA for use in the dental field in 1994, so they have already been around for more than 20 years. The American Dental Association is optimistic about the future of lasers in dentistry and looks to see what other uses they may have.
What Are Laser Dentistry Used For?
Lasers have many different uses within the dental field. Some different examples of how Dr. Hunsicker-Morrissey of Hellertown Dental Group at Hellertown, PA incorporates them into treatment are as follows:
- Gum Reshaping – A nice, even ratio of gum and teeth is ideal when you smile. If you have too much gum in your smile, it is called a “gummy smile.” Laser dentistry treatment from Hellertown Dental Group can effectively correct this condition. Using the laser to reshape your gumline is quick and painless. You will be showing more tooth and less gum in no time with laser gum reshaping in our office.
- Gum Disease Treatment – Lasers are an effective treatment for gum disease. PerioLase is the laser gum treatment we use and is one of a number of effective treatments available to help with this type of condition. The laser treatment can arrest the infection in your gums and clear your mouth of the bacteria that is causing your problem.
- Dental Fillings – Another use for laser dentistry is in preparing the area in a tooth that needs a dental filling. The laser can be used to remove tooth decay that is present and make sure that area is ready to receive whatever type of filling you and Dr. Hunsicker-Morrissey have chosen.
- Cavity Detection – DIAGNOdent laser caries detection allows us to be able to detect tooth decay and cavities that have not gone through the surface of your teeth yet. Finding the decay sooner gives you a chance to save more of your natural tooth.
- Teeth Whitening – The Zoom whitening system we use also incorporates a laser component into the treatment. The light from the laser acts as an activator for the Zoom whitening gel when it is placed on your teeth. You will receive fast and obvious results from your Zoom whitening treatment with Dr. Hunsicker-Morrissey of Hellertown Dental Group.
Call our Hellertown, PA dentist, Dr. Hunsicker-Morrissey, today at 610-628-9337 to schedule your laser dentistry appointment. You can use our contact form to schedule your appointment online if you prefer. One of our staff members at Hellertown, PA office will be in touch to confirm your day and time.